The Mother of all Chocolate Cakes

Wednesday, July 22, 2015


I blame my dad for my sweet tooth.  Every morning, with his Quaker Oatmeal or Cream of Wheat, he would have a piece of cake or a handful of cookies, equal parts warm cereal to sweets.  So it's only natural that I love cake, both baking it and eating it, since I grew up having it on my breakfast table every morning.  While I certainly have changed those eating habits now, it's still hard to resist a fabulous piece, still slightly warm from the oven, with gooey frosting clinging onto chocolatey goodness.  This recipe from my niece, Geneva Schlabach, is my favorite. It's the mother-of-all-chocolate-cake recipes.

Chocolate Cake

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
A pinch of salt
1/2 cup oil
1 cup hot coffee
1 cup milk
2 eggs

Turn oven to 350 degrees.

Mix eggs, oil, coffee and milk together thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients, mix well. Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan and bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out "just barely clean."

Frost with your favorite icing. I used buttercream for this cake.

2 comments:

  1. Wanted you to know I made this today. My teenage son came home from his summer job and asked for a piece. Could not say wait for dinner. He loved it. Plenty left for dinner. I tasted it and it is delicious. I was a little worried about a coffe taste. None! My family will love this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete